September 24, 2012

Diabetes Art Day


It's Diabetes Art Day!  Created by the lovely Lee Ann Thill "to encourage individuals and families with diabetes to engage in creative visual expression to communicate their experience with diabetes, connect with others, raise awareness, and promote insight and positive coping skills."  What a wonderful project!  I love anything that gives an opportunity to share what it's like to live with diabetes so I was all over this.  This was my first year participating and here's what I came up with.



Diabetes is all about numbers.  They are vast and never ending.  Highs, lows, and everything in between, and I'm in a constant struggle to keep those numbers within a very narrow range.  I don't think people without diabetes realize how much these numbers take over my mind.  No matter where I am or what I'm doing I could tell you when I last checked my blood sugar and what the result was, and when I last took insulin and how much.  Seriously.  Test me on it, I dare you.  It's always there in one way or another.

This was such a fun project.  I can't wait to see what other people have created!

Did you participate in Diabetes Art Day?  If not there's still time!  You don't have to be an "artist" or anything, just make something that's real and meaningful to you.  Go here for all the details and if you need a little inspiration, check out what others made here.  You can do it!

1 comment: