September 13, 2012

Exercise. It's not that simple.

photo credit
It's Invisible Illness Awareness Week.  A time to make your invisible illness visible.  Take some time this week to share the challenges and successes of living with your illness.  If you don't have an illness maybe ask a friend who does about what they go through every day.  It's all about spreading awareness of the effort put into managing these illnesses every day.

I want to share a little bit about exercise today.  Everyone knows exercise is good for you, even more so if you have diabetes.  It helps your heart, circulation, cholesterol, blood pressure, insulin sensitivity, pretty much everything.  I've never been really good about exercising consistently, but for the last couple weeks I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD and I think I could stick with this one.  It's a 20 minute workout that includes cardio, strength, and abs.  It's hard.  It really sucked the first few days, but I'm 12 days in now and I think I might actually like it.  The only problem is diabetes.

One thing people don't realize about diabetes is you have to start planning your exercise well ahead of time.  If my blood sugar is too high or too low I don't exercise.  There is a certain range I want it to be in and some days it takes a lot of work just to get it to that range.  Tonight I was ready to start, I tested my blood sugar and got a 274 out of nowhere.  That number is no good for exercising.  I corrected and ended up at 62, also no good for exercising.  Eventually I got there and shredded it up, but I had to wait for it...because of diabetes.

Another problem is my blood sugars seem to go crazy after I exercise, and for no apparent reason.  They say exercise is important to stay healthy with diabetes, but so far, for me, I don't know if that's true.  Exercising seems to make it impossible for my blood sugar to stay in a normal range.  It either crashes down to the 40s or skyrockets into the high 200s, or crashes and then skyrockets, or skyrockets and then crashes.  I can't figure it out. I know there are reasons and I most likely would find a trend if I logged the food I eat and insulin I take around exercise time, but that's a lot of work.  Work that people without diabetes don't have to deal with and most likely don't realize that I have to deal with.

With diabetes you don't get to just workout.  There's a lot of thought that goes into it before, during, and after.  People say you just need to exercise and eat better, but it's not that simple.

1 comment:

  1. Totally not that simple. I SO get you on this. It has taken years of trial and error for my lunchtime basketball, and even with that there are some days that it just doesn't work. Hang in there - you can do this!

    ReplyDelete